The Bécancour, Quebec plant produces primarily 35%, 50% and 70% hydrogen peroxide solutions.
These products are manufactured with leading-edge technology and are used as bleaching or antiseptic agents in a wide variety of industries such as pulp and paper, textile, food processing, mining and metallurgy, as well as the environmental sector.
- In the pulp and paper industry, hydrogen peroxide acts as an effective bleaching agent. Bleached chemical pulps may reach brightness levels as high as 90-92%.
- In the chemical industry, hydrogen peroxide is an outstanding reagent for various syntheses.
- In the textile industry, it is a desirable bleaching agent for natural fibers as well as synthetic fibers. Because of its compatibility with various fabric and textile dyes, it achieves a permanent whiteness without damaging the fibers.
- In the pharmaceutical or medical fields, it is used as a disinfectant.
- In the food processing industry, it is widely used for disinfecting and cleaning. It is also used as a sterilizing agent for the aseptic filling and packaging of milk and fruit juices.
- Hydrogen peroxide is used for the purification of drinking water.
- In the environmental sector, it is used in the desulphurization and deodorization of wastewaters as well as the decontamination of industrial effluents, soil and water.
- In metallurgy, hydrogen peroxide in combination with sulfuric or hydrofluoric acid is used for stainless steel and aluminum surface finishing.
- In the mining industry, we have already gained entry to the gold mining market. Our next target is the fishing and farming industry.
Learn more about our hydrogen peroxide products at www.brightenyourfuture.com.
- Citizen Committee – Although the plant is in an industrial park, we keep in close contact with the community. The Citizen Committee is managed by the citizens, and they set their own agenda. It provides us, along with two other companies in our industrial park, the opportunity to interact with the community so they are aware of our plant activities. They have the opportunity to visit us and ask questions. The Committee holds several meetings per year, which are open to the public.
- Industrial Safety Group – We are one of 15 participating companies that make up Quebec’s mutual community panel. The panel shares industry concerns and works toward best practices for the industry. The purpose of the committee is to group together industrial companies, share experiences and improve safety for all.
- CRAIM – We participate in the CRAIM meetings (Industrial Risks Communication Association) at the provincial level.
- CMMI – We participate in the CMMI meetings (Municipal, Industrial and Community Committee) at the municipal level.
SAAQ Conference at Bécancour
As part of continued efforts to promote employee safety and safety in the workplace, employees at Arkema’s Bécancour, Quebec, Canada site participated in a seminar on the effect of driving under the influence. Under the instruction of the SAAQ (Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec or the Quebec Automobile Insurance Corporation), employees learned about the effects of drugs and alcohol, the dangerous behavior they can cause while driving and the importance of planning ahead instead of driving impaired. Employees also tested glasses that simulated impaired vision under the effects of alcohol. The seminar and information provided was greatly appreciated by all participants.
Local associations / events we sponsor
- Member of Chamber of Commerce
- Member of Chemistry Industry Association of Canada (CIAC)
- Member of CEOP (Committee for Enterprises and Organizations in Industrial Park)
- Sponsor of United Way®
- Internships for students
- Laboratory equipment donations for local schools
Key figures for 2015
# of employees
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||
$6 million per year
|Investment in the community||
$10,000 per year
|Investment in health, environment and safety||Over $500,000 Canadian per year in approved capital investments for health, safety, and environmental projects
No injuries in the last year that led to lost work time.
|Rewards / certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
Responsible Care® is a registered trademark of the Chemcial Industry Association of Canada.
United Way® is a registered trademark of the United Way of America
Last updated: 28 January 2016